|MVNU Home / Academics / Faculty, Staff and Administration
Dr. Joyce Miller
(740) 397-9000 Ext. 3212
- Ph.D. The Ohio State University, 1999.
- M.A. Ball State University, Physiology, 1980.
- B.A. Olivet Nazarene University, Zoology, 1973.
- Certification, American Society of Clinical Pathologists, Medical Technologist, 1976.
- MVNU Institutional Review Board Chair 2007 – present
- Professor, 2008 –present
- Associate Professor, 2003 – 2008
- Acting Chemistry Department Chair, 2000
- Assistant Professor, 1999 – 2003
- Chemistry Instructor 1998 – 1999
- Biology Instructor, 1995 – 1996;
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, 1996 to 1998.
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Wooster Community Hospital, 1995 to present.
- Laboratory Administrative Director, Joel Pomerene Memorial Hospital, 1982 to 1995.
- Laboratory Evening Shift Supervisor, Bethesda Hospital, 1978 to 1982.
- Chemistry Laboratory Supervisor, Knox Community Hospital, 1976 to 1978.
- Medical Technologist, Ball Memorial Hospital, 1975 to 1976.
- Research Laboratory Technician, Ball Corporation, 1973 to 1974.
Awards and Recognitions:
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- MidWest Educational Research Association
- National Association for Research in Science Teaching
Selected Published Works and Presentations:
- Mini-Grant Awarded by MVNU. Weather balloon and equipment for ESS 1054, Introduction to Meteorology, May 2012
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers, 2002, 2004-2005
- Competitive Grant Awarded by the Ohio Department of Higher Education, Title II Initiative for Enhancing Teacher Quality Grant for $8,968.00, 2001.
- Exceptional Research Work and Effort Award for poster presented at the General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, Atlanta, GA, 1998.
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 1997.
- Competitive Award for the National Meeting of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry for the Poster Session Presentation, Atlanta, GA, July, 1997.
Favorite Subject-Related Links:
Favorite Scripture Verse:
- Miller, J.C. (2015). Critique of Intelligent Design. Presented at Annual Conference of the Wesleyan Theological Society, Mount Vernon, OH.
- Miller, J.C. (2007). Light and Aurora Borealis: God’s revelation of his divine nature through the natural world. Presented at Faculty Chapel, Mount Vernon, OH.
- Miller, J.C. (2005). Student Activities in general chemistry I lecture. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Science Teachers' Association, Dallas, TX..
- Miller, J.C., Shuster, P. (2003). Inquiry-based activities that address misconceptions in a college introductory meteorology course. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, Philadelphia, PA.
- Miller, J.C., Sabol, L., Sohner, K., & Bannerman, T. (May, 1998). Identifying Salmonella Outbreaks by the Use of Pulse-Field Gel Electrophoresis (PFGE) in a State Public Health Laboratory. Oral Presentation at the General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, Atlanta, GA.
- Miller, J.C., Ward, K.M., Smith, D.A., Naito, H.K., & Devin, L. (July, 1997). Less agreement among g!ycohemoglobin (gHb) results by six different methods in the presence of hemoglobin (Hb) variants. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry, Atlanta, GA.
Psalm 37:23-24 - "The steps of a man are established by the Lord; and He delights in his way. When he falls, he shall not be hurled headlong; because the Lord is the One who holds his hand."