Dr. James Skon
(740) 392-6868 Ext. 3224
- Ph.D. The Ohio State University, Computer and Information Science, 1997.
- The University of North Dakota, Linguistics, 1984-1987.
- M.S. The Ohio State University, Computer and Information Science, 1982.
- B.A. Mount Vernon Nazarene College, Computer Science, 1980.
- Professor in Computer Science, 1998 to present.
- Chairman, Department of Computer Science, 1998 to present.
- Associate Professor in Computer Science, 1995 to 1999.
- Assistant Professor in Computer Science, 1985 to 1995.
- Instructor of Computer Science, MVNC, 1983 to 1985.
- Part-time instructor, MVNC, 1982 to 1983. Promoted to Professor rank in 2000.
- Cognitive Science Summer Research Fellowship, The Ohio State University, June to September, 1992, 1993.
- Graduate Research Associate, The Ohio State University, Academic Computing Services, 1981 and 1982; July, 1992 to February, 1995.
- System Programmer II, The Ohio State University, The Instructional and Research Computing Center, 1982 to 1983.
- Graduate Assistant, The Ohio State University, Department of Computer and Information Science, 1980.
- Partner/Owner, Digitcomp Systems, contract software firm, 1978 to 1980.
Awards and Recognition:
- Association of Computing Machinery
- Association of Computational Linguistics
- Consortium for Computing in Small Colleges
Published Works and Presentations:
- The Sears-Roebuck Foundation Teaching Excellence and Campus Leadership Award, 1991.
- Outstanding Young Men of America, 1985 and 1986.
- Skon, James, James T. Streib, Brenda Tuomi Litka, Curt M. White: Implementing Internship Programs In The Small College Environment. Panel session at the 1998 Midwest conference of the Consortium for Computing in Small Colleges, September, 1998.
- Skon, James and John Noonan: Parallelization of the Twofish Symmetric Key Encryption Algorithm. Presentation at the Summer Mini-grant Symposium, MVNC, October, 1998.
- Skon, J. (1993). Guiding an HPSG Parser Using Semantic and Pragmatic Expectations, 1993 proceedings of the Association for Computational Linguistics.
- Skon, J. (1998, April). A Multi-user AP-NEWS System for Use in the Journalism and Communications Curriculum. Paper presented to the 21st Small College Computing Symposium at Clarke College, Dubuque, Iowa.
- Skon, J. (1985, April). The Use and Control of Dial-up Information Systems When Used as a Class Resource. Paper presented to the 18th Small College Computing Symposium at Wartburg College, Waverly, Iowa.