|MVNU Home / Academics / Faculty, Staff and Administration
Dr. Robert Kasper
(740) 392-6868 Ext. 3229
- Ph. D., Computer and Communication Sciences, University of Michigan, 1987.
- M. S., Computer and Communication Sciences, University of Michigan, 1984.
- A. B., Computer Science, Cornell University, 1982.
- Linguistics minor, Phi Beta Kappa.
- January 2000-present: Professor of Computer Science, Coordinator of Online Instruction.
- 2000-2002 Director of Academic Computing, Associate Professor.
- September 1995-December 1999: Assistant Professor. Department of Linguistics, Ohio State University.
- September 1994-August 1995: Instructor. Department of Linguistics, Ohio State University.
- September 1991-August 1994: Senior Researcher. Department of Linguistics and Center for Cognitive Science, Ohio State University.
- September 1990-August 1991: University Postdoctoral Fellow. Department of Linguistics, Ohio State University.
- July 1986-May 1990: Research Scientist. Natural Language and Knowledge Representation projects, Information Sciences Institute, University of Southern California.
- January-April 1986: Lecturer. Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Michigan.
Published Works and Presentations (90's):
- Association for Computational Linguistics: editorial board (1991-1993), program committee for annual meeting (1989, 1993, 1995), program committee for student session (1994), local arrangements co-chair for annual meeting (1993).
- American Association for Artificial Intelligence: program committee (1990).
- International Workshop on Parsing Technologies: program committee (1989, 1991).
- International Conference on Formal Grammar: program committee (1996-1998).
- Consultant, German Artificial Intelligence Center (DFKI), Saarbruecken. November 1992, June 1994.
- National Science Foundation Review Panel (dates omitted as required by NSF).
- FoLLI Dissertation Prize for Outstanding Dissertation in Language, Logic and Computation (sponsored by the Foundation for Language, Logic and Information and Kluwer Academic Publishers): member of selection committee (1998).
- Elected member of Sigma Xi, scientific research society (1988).
Favorite Bible Verse:
- Kasper, Robert and Eduard Hovy. 1990. Performing Integrated Syntactic and Semantic Parsing Using Classification. In Proceedings of the DARPA Workshop on Speech and Natural Language, Pittsburgh: June 1990.
- Kasper, Robert. 1992. Compiling Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar into Lexicalized Tree Adjoining Grammar. In Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Tree Adjoining Grammar, University of Pennsylvania: June 1992.
- Kasper, Robert. 1993. Typed Feature Constraint Systems: Structures and Descriptions. In H. Trost, ed., Feature Formalisms and Linguistic Ambiguity. Chichester, UK: Ellis Horwood, pp. 1-19.
- Kasper, Robert. 1994. Adjuncts in the Mittelfeld. In J. Nerbonne, K. Netter and C. Pollard. eds., German in Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar, Stanford: CSLI Lecture Notes Series 46, University of Chicago Press, pp. 39-69.
- Netter, Klaus, Robert Kasper, Bernd Kiefer and K. Vijay-Shanker. 1994. HPSG and TAG. In 3e Colloque International sur les Grammaires d'Arbres Adjoints (TAG+3). Available as technical report TALANA-RT-94-01, Université Paris 7, pp. 77-82.
- Kasper, Robert, Bernd Kiefer, Klaus Netter, and K. Vijay-Shanker. 1995. Compilation of HPSG to TAG. In Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics. Boston, June 1995, pp. 92-99.
- Kasper, Robert, Andreas Kathol, and Carl Pollard. 1995. Linear Precedence Constraints and Reentrancy. In Proceedings of the 5th Meeting of the Special Interest Group 'Computational Linguistics' of the German Linguistics Society (DGfS). Duesseldorf Germany, October 1995.
- Kasper, Robert T., Mike Calcagno, and Paul C. Davis. 1998. Know When to Hold 'Em: Shuffling Deterministically in a Parser for Nonconcatenative Grammars. In Proceedings of the 36th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (COLING-ACL '98). Montreal, August 1998, pp. 663-669.
- Kasper, Robert T., Paul C. Davis, and Craige Roberts. 1999. An Integrated Approach to Reference and Presupposition Resolution. Proceedings of the ACL'99 Workshop on the Relationship Between Discourse/Dialogue Structure and Reference. held at the 37th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics: College Park Maryland, June 1999.
- Kasper, Robert. (to appear) The Semantics of Recursive Modification. Accepted for publication in Journal of Linguistics, currently under revision.
Romans 8:38-39 - "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."