|MVNU Home / Academics / Faculty, Staff and Administration |
Dr. C. Jeanne Serrão
(740) 397-9000, Ext. 3602
- Ph.D. The Claremont
- Dissertation: Holiness and Sexual Ethics in Paul: An Analysis of the Use of Social Sciences in the Study of the New Testament
- M.A. The Claremont Graduate University, Religion, 1993
- M.A. Summa Cum Laude, Nazarene Theological Seminary, Missions, 1978
- M.Div., Summa Cum Laude, Nazarene Theological Seminary, Biblical Studies, 1977
- B.A., Magna Cum Laude, Mid-America Nazarene University, Biblical Literature/Language, 1974
- Mount Vernon Nazarene University
- Dean, School of Theology and Philosophy, 2003 to present
- Professor of Biblical Literature 2007 to present
- Associate Professor of Religion 2002 to 2007
- Assistant Professor of Religion, 1999 to 2002
- Other Employment
- Professor, Online Classes, Nazarene Bible College, 1999 to 2003
- Instructor, United Methodist Summer Licensing School, New Testament, Claremont School of Theology, 1991 to 1999
- Adjunct Professor, New Testament Studies, Azusa Pacific University, 1993-1994
- School Administrator, Highland Avenue Christian School, 1991-1995
- Education Pastor, Highland Avenue Community Church of the Nazarene, 1990-1999
- Children's Minister, Highland Avenue Community Church of the Nazarene, 1987-1990
- Adjunct Professor, Resident Counselor, Special Events Coordinator, Trevecca Nazarene College, 1982-1984
- Professor, European Nazarene College, 1979-1981
- John A. Knight Bible and Theology Conference, 2013 (Convener)
- Christian Women's Leadership Conference, Sep. 2012 (Convener)
- COSAC Module on Foundations of Women's Ordination (Developer and Editor)
- Revising Course of Study Ability statements for Church of the Nazarene ordination education to include condensing and incorporating aspects of women in ministry.
- Foundation for Women's Ordination Module for USA Course of Study, Church of the Nazarene: primary editor and one of the authors.
- "Telling the New Testament Story of God," Revising Curriculum Module for Pastoral Ministries, Church of the Nazarene, Course of Study which I originally wrote in 2002. (Includes Faculty Guide with Lesson Plans and Student Guide with Handouts)
- Coordinator and Founder of Women In Ministry Network (WIMN) for the MVNU Educational Zone. Provides resources and a conference every other year. Past Conferences: April 2003, 2005, 2007 & 2009. Expanding to Christian Women's Leadership Conference scheduled for September 13-14, 2012.
- Regional (USA/Canada) Course of Study Advisory Committee, MVNU regional representative.
- North Central Ohio District, Church of the Nazarene. Ministerial Studies Board member (elected), 2009-2011
- USA/Canada Women Clergy Council, International Church of the Nazarene, (East Central Representative, 2007 to 2011)
- Invited to present at February 2011 Northwest Nazarene University Wesley center conference, "The Bible Tells Me So." Involved giving 2, 50-minute workshops, writing a 3,000-5,000-word essay on the major theological or homiletical themes of James. The workshop was designed to help preachers and teachers work through theological issues that emerge in James. The essay will be included in a resulting conference book (in process).
Honors and Awards:
- American Association for Higher Education
- Association of Nazarene Sociologists and Researchers
- Council of Christian Colleges and Universities
- Council of Independent Colleges
- Ordained Elder, Church of the Nazarene, International
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Wesleyan / Holiness Women Clergy, International
- Wesleyan Theological Society
Published Works and Presentations:
- Selected for CCCU Leadership Development Institute for Women, June 2004
- Research Assistant, The Bible and Epic Project, Institute for Antiquity and Christianity, 1990-1991
- Tuition Fellowship, The Claremont Graduate University, 1987-1989
- Student Body President, Nazarene Theological Seminary, 1976-1977
- Outstanding Student Award, Nazarene Theological Seminary, 1976-1977
- Phi Delta Lambda Honors Society, Mid-America Nazarene University, Alumni Society, 1974
- Citizenship Award, Mid-America Nazarene University, Alumni Society, 1974
- "Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges," Mid-America Nazarene University, Alumni Society, 1973-1974
Favorite Subject-Related Links:
Favorite Bible Verse:
- "Rev. Dr. Olive Winchester: Holiness Greek Scholar," Presentation for the Women, the Church and Ministry: Celebrating 100 years of women's ordination in the UK, May 11-13, 2012 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK
- "Thoughts on the New Testament Concepts of Rapture and Millennium," Presentation for the John A. Knight Bible and Theology Conference, February 15-17, 2012 at Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Mount Vernon, Ohio.
- "Practical Wisdom from James," The Bible Tells Me So: Reading the Bible as Scripture, edited by Richard P. Thompson and Thomas Jay Oord (SacraSage Press: Nampa, Idaho, 2011).
- "10 and 5 Workshop on James," Workshop Presentation for The Bible Tells
Me So Conference, February 10-12, 2011 at Northwest Nazarene University, Nampa, Idaho.
- Serrao, C. Jeanne Orjala. James, A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition.
New Beacon Bible Commentary Series. Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press, 2010
- "Meet Five Unique Women in Jesus' Family Tree" in the "Our Message" column of the November/December 2010 issue of Holiness Today (LINK)
- Wesleyan Theological Society Conference Presentation: "The Past Matters in Future Presents" (March 2010)
- "To the Praise of His Glory: Ephesians," Adult Faith Connections (Winter 2010,
Sessions 5-13 (Co-written with students: Christina Bush Bohn and Shannon Pavlovic Edwards.)
- MVNU Region PALCON coordinator for Women Clergy Luncheon (June 2010)
- For more published works and presentations please click here.
Habakkuk 3:18-19 - "I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights."