As an educational institution of the Church of the Nazarene, Mount Vernon Nazarene University stands in the Wesleyan evangelical tradition, as summarized in the Articles of Faith and Agreed Statement of Belief in the Manual of the Church of the Nazarene.
The Articles of Faith contains 19 points of faith in The Triune God, Jesus Christ, The Holy Spirit, The Holy Scriptures, Original and Personal Sins, Atonement, Free Agency, Repentance, Justification, Regeneration and Adoption, Entire Sanctification, The Church, Baptism, The Lord's Supper, Divine Healing, Second Coming of Christ, Resurrection, Judgment, and Destiny.
The Agreed Statement of Belief reads:
- In one God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- That the Old and New Testament scriptures, given by plenary inspiration, contain all truth necessary to faith and Christian living.
- That man is born with a fallen nature and is, therefore, inclined to evil, and that continually.
- That the finally impenitent are hopelessly and eternally lost.
- That the atonement through Christ is for the whole human race; and that whosoever repents and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ is justified and regenerated and saved from the dominion of sin.
- That believers are to be sanctified wholly, subsequent to regeneration, through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- That the Holy Spirit bears witness to the new birth and also the entire sanctification of believers.
- That our Lord will return, the dead will be raised, and the final judgment will take place.