Program Admission Requirements
- Active, unencumbered license as a registered nurse (RN) in Ohio
- Graduate of a nationally accredited associate degree or diploma nursing program
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher on a 4.00 scale in all previous college course work
- American Heart Association Health Care Provider CPR certification
- Proficiency in the English language (minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT Test, if needed)
- Complete immunization record
- Complete the online admissions application for the Bachelor of Science (BS) in Nursing program.
- Request official transcripts from each college and university that you have attended. Please note that we can only accept original (no copies), sealed transcripts sent directly to MVNU by each sending institution. Please ask that all official transcripts be mailed to:
- Mount Vernon Nazarene University (GPS)
- Attn: Application Specialist
- 800 Martinsburg Road
- Mount Vernon, OH 43050
Prior to PracticumBefore participating in practicum, the School of Nursing will assist you to obtain each of the following items (paid for via student resource fees):
- Drug screening (results must be negative)
- Criminal background check (must not show evidence of anything that would adversely affect your ability to participate in practicum)
- Malpractice insurance
To earn the Bachelor of Science degree with a major in nursing (BS), nursing majors must complete a minimum of 120 semester hours (with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale). At least 30 semester hours must be completed at MVNU. Additional graduation requirements include:
- Successful completion of the MVNU General Education core for GPS.
- Successful completion of all cognate requirements with a minimum grade of C (a C- is not sufficient), which includes:
- BIB3033 Foundations of a Biblical Worldview (3 cr.)
- BIO4033 Environmental Science for Nurses (3 cr.)
- MAT2063 Introduction to Statistics (3 cr.)
- Successful completion of all major requirements with a minimum grade of C (a C- is not sufficient), which includes:
- NUR3304 Gerontological Nursing (4 cr.)
- NUR3313 Evidence for Nursing Practice (3 cr.)
- NUR3323 Comprehensive Health Assessment (3 cr.
- NUR3343 Transition to Professional Nursing (3 cr.)
- NUR3352 Nursing Informatics (2 cr.)
- NUR4303 Genomic Nursing (3 cr.)
- NUR4315 Community Health Perspectives (5 cr.)
- NUR4325 Nursing Leadership and Management (5 cr.)
- NUR4343 Healthcare Trends and Issues (3 cr.)
- NUR4353 Theoretical Perspectives for RNs (3 cr.)
- MVNU's financial aid department will provide assistance to help make your degree affordable to you.
For more information contact the Graduate and Professional Studies Office of Admissions at (800) 839-2355.