March offers chance to "Live Out Loud" with WNZR
March 9-13, 2011
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio. -- WNZR 90.9 FM, a broadcast ministry of Mount Vernon Nazarene University, is preparing for Lifeline 2011.
This annual fundraising effort is an opportunity for listeners to pledge their support to WNZR.
This year’s goal is $60,000 and the theme is “Live Out Loud.” The theme verse for Lifeline 2011 is Romans 1:16, where Paul writes, “I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes.” The WNZR staff views “Live Out Loud” as a challenge to set an example as loving Christ-followers, not ashamed to worship Him and allowing Him to be the guiding force in our lives. The theme reminds us that we can set an example, not just through the words we say, but through the way we treat others in all areas of life.
Lifeline 2011 will start on Wednesday, March 9, and run through Saturday, March 12. “Our desire is for WNZR’s broadcast ministry to be active and vibrant in the Knox County community for years to come,” said Joe Rinehart, MVNU’s director of Broadcasting and co-host of WNZR’s The Afternoon Drive. “A partnership with WNZR is an investment in the future. Your gift allows our students to continue developing their broadcasting skills while discovering passion and purpose in their lives. It truly helps our station encourage others to “’Live Out Loud.’”
“Lifeline is more than just a fundraiser,” said senior history major and student broadcaster Sarah Boston. “It is an opportunity to promote the message of Jesus Christ to everyone in our listening area. WNZR is more than just classroom instruction for aspiring broadcasters as they further their education. I have learned so much in just a year. I can't wait to share my experiences with the people I come into contact with for the rest of my life. It is because of listeners supporting Christian radio and this station that I have had these opportunities and, for that, I am very thankful.”
“Living out loud is living as Christ did,” said Jayme McMillan, junior video and radio broadcasting major. “It's being unashamed of what we believe and sharing with others why we believe it.”
Wednesday, March 9, is WNZR’s annual “Day of Prayer and Praise.” From 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., the staff will focus on how God has provided for WNZR over the past 24 years. To kick off the event, WNZR will host a Sunrise Prayer and Praise service in the R.R. Hodges Chapel/Auditorium on MVNU’s campus on Wednesday, March 9, from 7-8 a.m. Prayer will be led by community leaders, listeners and current WNZR staff members. The public is invited to join WNZR for this event, which will also include praise and worship music. Listeners are encouraged to call the station throughout the day to share personal testimonies, prayer requests and praise reports.
Fundraising for Lifeline 2011 begins on March 10, continues through March 12 and will emphasize WNZR’s growth through listener support.
WNZR is introducing a new way to give back to Lifeline 2011 donors. Appreciation gifts will be given for donations as designated levels. Everyone making a donation will receive a WNZR car magnet. Donors giving $10 per month will receive a WNZR bistro coffee mug. The official Lifeline 2011 t-shirt, featuring the “Live Out Loud” theme, will be given for gifts of $25 per month. A Lifeline 2011 hooded sweatshirt will be given for donations of $50 per month.
Several challenges and special events will be held during Lifeline 2011:
- The Lifeline Challenge encourages families to support WNZR’s ministry and asks for a monthly donation of $25 over the next 12 months.
- The Lifeline Choice Challenge is scheduled for Thursday, March 9, from 4-7 p.m. Domino’s Pizza, Friendly’s Restaurant and R&M’s Southside Diner have joined the station to offer gift certificates to donors.
- Matching Challenge Day is Friday, March 11. From 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., listeners will have a chance to have their pledge money doubled. More details on these challenges can be found on the station’s Web site, www.wnzr.fm.
- The PTLIF (Praise the Lord it’s Friday) Party will be held on Friday, March 11, at 8 p.m. at MVNU’s Dining Commons in the Hyson Campus Center. This event will include an all-you-can-eat hot dog and nacho buffet, prizes and the premiere of the new VeggieTales video “‘Twas the Night Before Easter.” Tickets for the PTLIF Party are $4 per person and are available at the Gospel Supply Shop or at the door on March 11. All proceeds from this event support Lifeline 2011.
- Where in the World is Big Blue? is Saturday, March 12, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Morning show hosts Marcy Rinehart, Sarah Boston and Kaylee Nicks will take the Lifeline 2011 crew on the road to four secret locations in Mount Vernon. Listeners will receive clues and have chances to win CDs throughout the event. A grand prize winner will receive an mp3 player filled with WNZR’s top 30 songs of 2010.
WNZR 90.9 FM is celebrating 24 years as Knox County’s hometown Christian radio station. WNZR broadcasts contemporary Christian music, family-oriented programs, sports, news and weather 24 hours a day. All who wish to support Lifeline 2011 or who would like more information, please visit www.wnzr.fm, or call WNZR at (740) 392-9090 during the March 9-12 fundraiser.