“Train up a child in the way he should go, and even when he is old he will not depart from it.” — Proverbs 22:6 (ASV)
It is essential that children have bright, educated, and nurturing leaders in their lives. Oftentimes, children can teach us as much about the Lord as we can teach them. It is a unique gift to serve in Children’s Ministry.
MVNU is proud to be one of only two Nazarene universities that offer a degree in Children’s Ministry.
- Network with the best — Through MVNU’s Children’s Ministry program, you’ll have the chance to travel to the Children’s Pastors’ Conference and other intercultural trips to Philadelphia, Pa., and Indianapolis, Ind. These trips provide the unique opportunity to learn what Children’s Ministry looks like in different cultural demographics.
- Community involvement — You will be encouraged to become involved in a local congregation and/or parachurch organization beginning in your freshman year. Local churches welcome students to participate in their ministry, and many churches seek interns for summer ministry activities.
- Professional opportunities — Job requests for those majoring in Children’s Ministry are greater than the number of those graduating with a Children’s Ministry degree. Every Children’s Ministry grad from MVNU has been hired upon graduation.
Dr. Matthew Price, Associate Professor of Christian Education, Intercultural Studies program Coordinator
- Dr. C. Jeanne Serrão, Professor of Biblical Literature, Coordinator of Master of Ministry and CMP Programs, School Dean
- Dr. Lincoln Stevens, Professor of Philosophy, Philosophy Program Coordinator
- Dr. Eric Vail, Associate Professor of Theology, Religion Program Coordinator
- Dr. Doug VanNest, Professor of Pastoral Ministry
The School of Theology and Philosophy offers annual opportunities to travel to countries significant to the Christian faith. Our most recent trips include:
- 2015 — Turkey and Greece, where students walked in the footsteps of Paul and visited the locations where many of the New Testament and early church events took place.
- 2016 — Israel and Jordan, where students walked in the footsteps of Jesus and the prophets. They saw for themselves the lands where their favorite Bible stories took place and experienced the culture and history of these important places.
- 2017 — Germany and Switzerland, where students will walk in the footsteps of Reformers like Martin Luther and see the places where Western tradition was deeply shaped.
In addition to these trips, every Children’s Ministry major attends the annual Children’s Pastors’ Conference at least once. Several thousand children’s pastors gather for 3 days of workshops, plenary sessions with renowned speakers, networking opportunities and exhibits. The experience provides exposure to top-notch leaders and ministry practitioners.
There are over 30 endowed scholarships for students in the School of Theology and Philosophy with a call to ministry. In addition, there is a Nazarene Ministerial Scholarship program in which Nazarene ministry students can participate during their four years.
MVNU’s Children’s Ministry grads are known for securing jobs in their field before even graduating. A Children’s Ministry degree from MVNU will properly prepare you for a career as a full-time or part-time children’s pastor, a daycare center worker/administrator, a member of parachurch organizations for at-risk children, and more.
Or, you can go on to get your Master of Divinity degree from Nazarene Theological Seminary (NTS) right on the MVNU campus. Through our School of Graduate and Professional Studies, NTS offers online and videoconference courses that allow students to earn their M. Div. degrees from NTS without moving to Kansas City.
Amanda Sparks, '17“MVNU gave me the opportunity to travel to Swaziland, where I discovered my God-given gift to truly love people.”