Are you passionate about being a support system for people in need?
Comforting an abused child, assisting a homeless family, helping an elderly patient plan his post-hospital care, listening to the concerns of a teen mother, developing a community adopt-a-grandparent program — these are some of the rich and varied services a social worker can perform in his/her profession.
Social Work majors at MVNU are taught by faculty who are actively engaged in volunteer work and research in their major fields. Students are exposed to fieldwork early, gaining experience from three field placements throughout their college career in both urban and rural settings. Coursework includes important exposure to diverse population groups such as a growing Hispanic community, inner-city youth, and families. MVNU also offers opportunities for international field practicum experience. A bachelor’s degree in Social Work is the first step to becoming a Licensed Social Worker (LSW).
- Practical experience — As an MVNU Social Work major, you will experience the unique integration of fieldwork in rural, urban, and international settings. You’ll have the opportunity to spend a semester abroad in Romania, and may work with people of all ages. MVNU requires almost 20% more hours of field experience than the average university. It’s rare for other universities to have freshman field experience, but we do because we know it is vital to getting you the experience you need to enter your career with ease and confidence in your abilities.
- Active faculty — MVNU Social Work professors are licensed social workers and remain actively engaged in volunteer work and research in their major fields. You will learn from people who have been where you are going.
- Personalization — You will have the opportunity to participate in a one-on-one independent study with faculty, so that you can delve into the issues and areas of interest that you are most passionate about.
Many Social Work graduates go on to continue their education at prestigious institutions. In fact, in 2015, our grads had a 100% pass rate on the Licensed Social Work exam as well as a 100% acceptance rate into graduate school.
MVNU Social Work graduates have attended:
- University of Michigan
- The Ohio State University
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Akron
- Roberts Wesleyan College
- Case Western Reserve University
“The Social Work program has not only trained me to be professional and effective in my career, it has given me a deeper appreciation and respect for all the individuals I come in contact with in both professional and personal settings”Julia Course, ’18