Dr. Danielle Giroux
- Assistant Professor of Social Work, MVNU, 2016-Present
- 2015-2016, Clinical Intern with Alaska Psychological Internship Consortium- Norton Sound Health Corporation
- 2012-2015, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium Suicide Prevention Program Coordinator
- 2013-2014, Clinical Therapist for Alaska Child and Family Services
- 2013-2014, Graduate Instructor of Record for the University of Alaska Anchorage
- 2012, Community Organizer for Anchorage Faith and Action Congregations Together (AFACT)
- 2011-2012, Adjunct Faculty of Social Work for Hawaii Pacific University
- 2009-2010, Residential Advisor for Hale Kipa Transitional Living Services Hawaii
- 2009-2010, Case Coordinator for Easter Seals Hawaii
- 2006-2008, Treatment Coordinator for New Mexico Solutions Treatment Foster Care
- Current Ohio NASW Region 8 Director
- American Psychological Association Member Since 2010
- National Association of Social Workers Member Since 2009
- Society for Community Research and Action
- The Society for the Psychological Study of Social Studies
Awards and Recognitions:
- Certified Green Dot Trainer, Certified in the College Track, 2017
- Recipient of Ariel Foundation Grant in collaboration with the student gardening club to create the MVNU Community Garden, 2017
- Recipient of Community Foundation of Mount Vernon & Knox County grant for completion of a rural intimate partner violence research study and accompanying community action, 2017
- Certified Gatekeeper, Question Persuade Refer Suicide Intervention Skills Trainer, 2014
- Certified Safetalk Suicide Intervention Skills Trainer, Livingworks, 2014
- Recipient of the Service to Science Grant for the Doorway to a Sacred Place project, 2013
- Certified Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training, Livingworks (ASIST), 2012
Published Works & Presentations (Limit 5):
- Giroux, D., Nye, H., Slone, M., Boise, M., Skinner, A., Wilmoth, K. & Podnar, H. (2018). Finding Strength after Power Based Personal Violence. Poster session presented at the Annual National Association of Social Workers Conference.
- Giroux, D. (2017) The Heart of the Grizzly: Understanding Sexual Assault in a Rural Context. Doctoral Dissertation. Proquest Dissertations and Theses.
- Giroux, D., Demientieff, D., Ciniero, P., Boudreau, E., Moses, S., Holley, T., McLaughlin, L., Jerue, T., Spatrisano, J. & Hooper, M. (In Press) Culturally Grounded Alaska Native Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention Training. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research.
- Giroux, D., Bacon, S., King, D., Dulin, D. & Gonzalez, V. (2014). Examining perceptions of a Smartphone-Based Intervention System for Alcohol Use Disorders. Telemedicine and Ehealth 10, 923-929 DOI: 10.1089/tmj.2013.0222
- Helm, S., Okamoto, S. K., Kaliades, A., Giroux, D. (2014) Drug Offers as a Context for Violence Perpetration and Victimization. Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse 13(1), 39-57. DOI: 10.1080/15332640.2013.853015.
- David, E. J., Sumie, O., Giroux, D. (2014) Conceptualizations and Models: A Set of Guiding Principles to Advance Concepts in Multicultural Psychology, Chapter in the APA Handbook of Multicultural Psychology, Vol. 1: Theory and research. (pp. 85-104). Washington DC, US: American Psychological Association.
- MVNU Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) Accreditation Coordinator
- MVNU Title IX Committee Member, Title IX Investigator
- MVNU Institutional Review Board (IRB) Member
Favorite Scripture Verse:
- Joshua 1:9 - “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
- Matthew 5:46 - “For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?”
Past jobs and/or current hobbies unrelated to your profession:
- Hobbies include fishing, hiking, yoga, and travel.
- Ph.D. in Clinical-Community Psychology, University of Alaska Anchorage, Anchorage, Alaska
- M.S. in Clinical Psychology, University of Alaska Anchorage, Anchorage, Alaska
- MSW in Social Work, Hawaii Pacific University, Honolulu, Hawaii
- B.A. in Psychology and Anthropology, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio