Do you have a flair for the dramatic?
MVNU’s Theatre program is designed to provide you with professional knowledge and experience in both the performance and technical aspects of theatre. Simultaneously, you will earn a well-rounded liberal arts education that will teach you the communication and interpersonal skills that are essential to building a successful career in any field.
- NYC Semester program — As a senior, you will to spend a semester studying at The King’s College in New York City. Develop new networking opportunities, have class and skills workshops with current NYC professionals, attend Broadway productions, and visit major cultural landmarks like the MET.
- Faith integration — We place a strong emphasis on connecting faith and art, both academically and personally. We are devoted to helping you develop the ethical foundation upon which you will build your future career and personal life.
- Community involvement — MVNU maintains connections and partnerships with local and regional theatre companies for the benefit of our students. You will have many opportunities to participate in theatre productions both on campus and in the local community.
- Individualized attention — Our 14:1 student-to-faculty ratio means you’ll receive lots of one-on-one advising and career guidance, as well as individualized attention in the classroom and rehearsal room.
- Hands-on experience — Three main-stage productions, simulations with the Nursing department, and other production opportunities mean there are plenty of opportunities for you to improve upon your talents and build your résumé. Opportunities for hands-on experience begin the moment you step on campus.
As an MVNU Theatre major, you’ll have all the tools and creative space you need to make great things — whether you’re recording radio spots in the WNZR studio, preparing your stage manager’s prompt book in the rehearsal room, performing on stage in Thorne Performance Hall, or participating in one of nearly 100 live video streams through WNZR.tv or MVNU.tv. You also may be editing a project on Adobe Creative Cloud or Final Cut Pro X on one of the 30 iMacs in the Mac lab. You will have everything you need to get creative and hone your craft.
Many Theatre students seek out scholarships through the Music department. These Music scholarships are talent-based awards that are granted through audition before the MVNU Music faculty. Scholarships are available for voice, piano, organ, most wind and string instruments, percussion, guitar, and composition. The awards are for one academic year and range from approximately $500-$3,000 and are offered to music majors, minors, or other disciplines.
MVNU also has many endowed scholarships available for students of a wide variety of backgrounds and majors.
A degree in Theatre from MVNU prepares you for a variety of different careers. You could go on to work in professional theatre, film, the entertainment industry, theatre education, or continue your own education and pursue a Master of Fine Arts degree.
MVNU Theatre grads have worked as:
- Drama critics
- Vocal performers
- Vocal coaches
Krista Armstrong, '15“The people here let me be all the crazy versions of myself that I needed to be to figure out who I really am.”