740-392-6868 Ext. 3501
Dr. Yvonne Schultz
Professor of English and Dean of the School of Arts and Humanities
School of Arts and Humanities
- Associate Vice President for Academic Administration, 2017-
- Director of GPS General Studies, 2015-
- Dean, School of Arts and Humanities, 2013-
- Chair, Department of Communication
- Professor of English
- MVNU faculty since 2000
- Adjunct faculty, Marion Technical College. University of Akron, OSU-Newark
- Owner/Manager, Schultz Publication Services
- Copywriter, Mount Carmel Health System Creative Services
- Managing Editor, Evangelical Ministries
- Assistant Editor, Twin Cities Christian
- Council for Christian Colleges & Universities
- Council for Independent Colleges
- Evangelical Press Association
- Rhetoric Society of America
- Contributing Editor, Windhover: A Journal of Christian Literature
- Rhetoric Society of America
- College English Association of Ohio
- Conference on Christianity and Literature
- National Council of Teachers of English/College Composition and Communication
Awards and Recognition:
- President’s Award. Faculty Member of the Year. 2013-14
- Faculty Development Mini-Grant. 2011.
- Alma J. Payne Nontraditional Student Scholarship, Bowling Green State University. 2008-09.
- Faculty Development Mini-Grant, 2003
- Teagle Collaboration Grant, Summer 2002
- Evangelical Press Association Mel Larson Journalism Scholarship,1978
Published Works and Presentations:
- Featured in Rhetoric and Writing alumni working in WPA/administrative positions on the BGSU website, 2019.
- “Thou My Great Father, I Thy True Daughter.” Chapel Message. Mount Vernon Nazarene University. Sept. 21, 2015.
- “Creations (Take Two—They’re Small),” Poem in Windhover: A Journal of Christian Literature. University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Belton, Texas. Spring 2015.
- “Wearing out the Apron: Ida B. Wells at the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair.” Presentation in panel “Reframing the Self in Acts of Defiance: Ida B. Wells’ Confrontational Rhetoric,” Yvonne R. Schultz, chair. With Dr. Sue Wood, Bowling Green State University, and Dr. Beth Church, Bowling Green State University. Rhetoric Society of America 2012 Conference, May 24-28, 2012, Philadelphia, Pa.
- “Not Your Grandmother’s Grammar: A Review of Traditional and Modern Grammars, Punctuation, and Usage.” MVNU Faculty Institute Workshop, Aug. 24, 2011.
- “Remediating Place: Vashti’s Powerful Presence of Absence,” Conference on Christianity and Literature Mideast Region 2010, Grove City College, Grove City, Pa. March 11-13, 2010.
- “A Speech, a Painting, and a Pamphlet: Making Rhetorical Space at the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair.” International Feminism(s) and Rhetoric(s) Biennial Conference. Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich. October 7-10, 2009.
- Bowling Green State University, Ph.D., rhetoric and writing student panel. Invited to participate in Conference on College Composition and Communication. New Orleans, La. April 2008.
Past jobs and/or current hobbies unrelated to your profession:
- Biking: Biked Cuba during spring break 2018
- Hiking with husband Dennis and black labs, Woodward and Bernstein
- Cross-country skiing
- Vegetable and flower gardening, landscaping
- Home improvement projects, especially ones involving demolition
- Time with family and friends, especially time involving eating together
- Road trips
- Ph.D. in English/Rhetoric and Writing, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio (2011)
- M.A. in English/Composition, University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
- B.A. in Communication/Journalism, Crown College, St. Bonifacius, Minnesota