Office of Civil Rights
Discrimination, Harassment, Sexual Misconduct
The Civil Rights Office is a policy driven entity and is designed to ensure that all its community members are free from discrimination and harassment as required by law and the University policies. The Policy prohibits specific forms of behavior, which the Policy collectively refers to as “Prohibited Conduct.”
This policy applies to all forms of Prohibited Conduct that:
- Occur on campus;
- Occur in any MVNU education or employment activities and programs; or
- Have continuing adverse effects on campus, on any member of the MVNU community, or in the context of any MVNU education or employment activities and programs, regardless of where the conduct occurred.
Title IX – Sexual Harassment
- Quid Pro Quo
- Unwelcome Conduct
- Sexual Assault
- Dating Violence
- Domestic Violence
For reported behavior to qualify as Prohibited Conduct under the Title IX- Sexual Harassment it must meet all of the following threshold requirements:
- The conduct must have occurred against a person in the United States.
- The conduct must have occurred within the University’s education program or activity. For purposes of this provision, this means that the conduct must have occurred either (a) in a location, event, or circumstances over which MVNU exercised substantial control over both the respondent and the context in which the sexual harassment occurs or (b) in relation to a building owned or controlled by a student organization that is officially recognized by the MVNU.
- The complainant must be participating in or attempting to participate in the education program or activity of the University at the time the formal complaint is filed.
Conduct that does not meet these threshold requirements is subject to a Title IX Dismissal, but may still be resolved as a Non-Title IX Sexual Misconduct.
Non-Title IX Sexual Misconduct
- Non-Title IX Sexual Assault
- Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment
- Sexual Exploitation
- Non-Title IX Domestic Violence
- Non-Title IX Dating Violence
- Non-Title IX Stalking
Title VI and Title VII – Discrimination on the Basis of a Protected Characteristic
See policy Section VII.C.
See policy Section VII.D.