Are you passionate for sharing knowledge with future generations?
MVNU's School of Education and Professional Studies has long been known for the quality of its education programs because of the unique opportunities for extensive hands-on field experience offered to students starting freshman year. This kind of experience will bulk up your résumé, allow you to make connections with local schools and educators, and help you feel comfortable and confident in the classroom as quickly as possible.
- NCATE/CAEP accreditation -- MVNU’s education programs hold the highest standard of recognition awarded to education programs across the country.
- Secondary education programs are linked to majors. Students on a secondary education track within their major will have two advisors: one for their major and one for their secondary program. They would graduate with a specific Integrated studies degree.
- Learning abroad — You will have the opportunity to complete part of your student teaching internationally in Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
- Quality faculty — All professors in this program have professional experience in teaching and/or administration in public or private schools. This means you’ll be learning from people who have been where you’re going.
- Dr. Dean Goon, Associate Professor of Education and Director of Innovative Education
- Professor Jessica Grubaugh, Assistant Professor of Education, Director of Graduate Education and continuing Education
- Dr. Sharon Metcalfe, Professor of Education, Associate Dean for Education Programs
- Dr. Stephen Metcalfe, Professor of Education
- Professor Elizabeth Napier, Assistant Professor of Education, NCATE Coordinator
- Dr. Pam Owen, Professor of Education
- Dr. Bevin Shiverdecker, Professor of Education/Director of Undergraduate Field and Clinical Experiences
- Professor Lynn Shoemaker, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Michael Traugh, Professor of Education, Acting Dean
- Dr. Krishana White, Instructor of Education
You can chose from Integrated Business, Integrated Mathematics, Integrated Social Studies, or Life Science Education as a secondary track to your major.
Your main workspaces in this program will be the classrooms you get to teach and assist in, in your licensure area, as early as your first or second semester.
There are opportunities to complete part of your student teaching semester internationally in Costa Rica, China, Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia as well as New York City, Boston, and Los Angeles. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared as an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in our many other service and learning trips.
Elementary, middle/junior, high school teacher, professor; Middle Childhood (grades 4-9 – choose two academic areas of specialty), Intervention Specialist (K-12), and high school science, social studies, math, and language arts, as well as K-12 Spanish, business, art, and music license majors.
MVNU Secondary Education grads work at schools across the United States, including:
- Andrew Thompson – Mount Vernon High School
- Jessie Young – Mount Vernon High School
- Misty Cushing – Desert Pines Elementary, Las Vegas, NV
- Whitney Weaver – Sheridan High School
- Tori Dillon – Esperanza Elementary, Phoenix, AZ