WNZR celebrates 36 years of ministry
WNZR 90.9 FM, Mount Vernon Nazarene University’s radio station, is celebrating 36 years of broadcasting in central Ohio. On Saturday, October 1, the WNZR staff will celebrate the station’s anniversary by going On The Road with Big Blue!
September 27, 2022
WNZR celebrates 36 years of ministry
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio (September 27, 2022) — WNZR 90.9 FM, Mount Vernon Nazarene University’s radio station, is celebrating 36 years of broadcasting in central Ohio. On Saturday, October 1, the WNZR staff will celebrate the station’s anniversary by going On The Road with Big Blue !
The station will broadcast live at the Knox Starting Point Family Day and 5K from 10 a.m. to Noon at Fredericktown’s Community Park, 10 Ankneytown Road. Then Big Blue travels to Mount Vernon’s Memorial Park, 108 Mount Vernon Ave., for the Teen Advisory Council (TAC) Color for a Cause 5K and 1 Mile Walk and Run for a live broadcast from 1-3 p.m.
Marcy Rinehart, WNZR Station Manager and co-host of the Morning Thing, shares her excitement, “As we celebrate 36 years in radio ministry, we are going to do what we do best – serve others, work hard to be a Lifeline to families, and serve our community!”
WNZR has partnered with The Least of These Ministries for a special anniversary giveaway on Saturday. The first 90 people to stop by Big Blue during both broadcasts, will receive a homemade buckeye created by the skilled bakers of the ministry. The Least of These Ministries provides a safe home for women who desire freedom from addiction through the power of Christ. The sales of their baked goods benefit women who are working to overcome addiction.
WNZR is thrilled to celebrate another anniversary following a year full of historic moments and blessings for the station’s ministry.
Highlights from the past year include:
- An overwhelming show of support from listeners during Lifeline 2022, the station’s annual fundraiser. WNZR’s goal was $65,000 and the final total was $82,871.
- WNZR was inducted into the Knox County Junior Fair Hall of Fame at the 2022 Sale of Champions. This award recognized the many years of outstanding service to the youth of Knox County through the station’s coverage of, and participation in, the Junior Fair Livestock Sale.
- WNZR was featured in a book by MVNU Alumnus Heidi Gray McGill (’88). Dial P for Perfect is part of a series of books called You Are On The Air . Each book in this series focuses on a radio station.
- Over the last 12 months, WNZR has participated in 16 community events including live broadcasts from First Fridays, Food For The Hungry, the Centerburg Heart of Ohio USA Days Festival, Knox County Fair, Mount Vernon Music & Arts Festival, Fredericktown Tomato Show, and more.
- WNZR partnered with many community organizations to promote their outreach initiatives to Knox County, including Place 4 Grace, United Way of Knox County, Knox Network of Christian Ministries, Knox Starting Point, New Directions, Knox Substance Abuse Action Team, Experience Mount Vernon, and Food For The Hungry.
“Being part of WNZR’s work to glorify God and serve our community is a blessing,” said Joe Rinehart, Communication Department Chair and co-host of WNZR’s Afternoon Drive. “The support of our listeners and MVNU also helps our students have rich experiences, learn and practically apply their broadcasting skills.”
WNZR’s current staff consists of 39 students involved in various roles including on-air DJs and WNZR.TV video team.
“God has been extremely faithful to answer the prayers of Dr. Henry Smith and those communication students from 1982. Our listeners have also been faithful to financially support our ministry over the past 3 ½ decades. Their support has allowed us to grow and expand to fulfill our mission,” said Marcy.
WNZR radio exists to glorify Jesus Christ, provide listeners with excellence in programming, build trusted relationships in the community, and advance the mission of Mount Vernon Nazarene University — shaping lives through educating the whole person and cultivating Christ-likeness for lifelong learning and service.
Messages on the impact of the station’s music or programming can be sent to email@example.com or by using the “Open Mic” feature on the WNZR App.
WNZR broadcasts contemporary Christian music, family-oriented programs, sports, news and weather 24 hours a day. Click here to learn more about the station.
To learn more about MVNU’s Communication and Media academic program, click here .