Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

These are the most frequently asked questions about our programs. If you don't find the answer to your question below, please contact us at

Is your school accredited?

Yes! Accreditation is a status granted to an educational institution or a program that has been found to meet or exceed stated criteria of educational quality. Accreditation has two fundamental purposes: to assure the quality of the institution or program and to assist in the improvement of the institution or program.

MVNU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a member of AdvancED and the Ohio Department of Higher Education.

If I have a question, who do I contact?

You may find the answers to many of your questions in the FAQs listed here. If you still have unanswered questions, please call us at 1-800-839-2355.

Does MVNU offer associate degrees?

Yes. MVNU offers an Associate of Arts (General Studies) degree. Completely online, the Associate of Arts (AA) degree in General Studies is available for working adults seeking to earn an associate degree or who plan to pursue a four-year program in the future. The AA credits count toward the baccalaureate degree.

For more information, visit MVNU's Academic Catalog.

How long will it take to earn my degree?

This varies by the degree you are pursuing:



General Studies


Social Work

Does MVNU have online courses or programs for adults?

Review the complete list of online programs offered at MVNU.

Courses in the undergraduate and graduate business programs are offered fully online. Regardless of your location, you will be able to complete your degree program on your time.

All of our education programs at the undergraduate and graduate level are offered entirely online.

Our Bachelor of Arts in Christian Ministry, Bachelor of Arts in Ministry Leadership, and our Master of Ministry (including our M.Min./MBA dual-degree program) are offered 100% online.

Social Work
The social work program is offered 100% online.

If I have a question, who do I contact?

Our accelerated programs are designed for the working adult learner. Most of our programs are offered entirely online, while others hold classes just one night a week. Students are able to maintain their other obligations while pursuing the dream of a college degree. You can fit your education into just about any work/life schedule.

See the list of online courses available!

Does MVNU charge an application fee?

Unlike many other colleges and universities, MVNU does NOT charge an application fee—one more advantage for you!

Do I need to request my transcripts to be sent to MVNU?

Yes. To complete your application file, MVNU will need official copies of transcripts sent directly from all schools you have previously attended. They can be sent to:

SGPS Applications
800 Martinsburg Road
Mount Vernon, OH 43050
or sent electronically to

Is the GRE or GMAT required for admission to graduate programs?

No, neither of these exams are required for any graduate-level program at Mount Vernon Nazarene University.

It has been a long time since I attended college. Will my credits transfer?

All college-level courses, meaning not remedial or developmental, will transfer from a regionally accredited institution with a passing score of C- or above. Official transcripts must be received in a sealed envelope or online directly from the granting institution in order for courses to be posted. All transfer credits must be posted six weeks prior to graduation.

Will my professional license training count toward credit for my degree?

Many types of professional training can be considered for college credit. With proper documentation, students can earn up to 40 semester hours of general electives.

Am I able to test out of courses to earn credit?

Yes! MVNU accepts credit by exam for some degree requirements. Students can take CLEP and/or DANTES exams to earn additional credits towards their Liberal Arts Audit. Students cannot test out of core curriculum courses. The maximum credits earned through exams cannot exceed 30. Once a student successfully passes an exam, they are required to pay transcription fees of $30 per credit hour to have the credits posted to their transcript. Flyers are provided for CLEP and/or DANTES exams with exams available and the categories in which the exams will fit. Talk to your Enrollment Specialist for more information about these opportunities.

Is MVNU a member of the Yellow Ribbon program?

Yes. The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions, like MVNU, in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate.

You may have tuition and fees that exceed that amount if you are attending a private institution, graduate school, or attending an out-of-state school. If you are enrolled at a Yellow Ribbon–participating institution and the tuition and fees exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition or fees, additional funds may be available for your education program without an additional charge to your entitlement. Click to learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program and to see if you qualify.

Will I be able to use my military benefits at MVNU?

Yes! We'll be happy to help you apply them to your education. The following are some of the benefits MVNU accepts:

•Post 9/11 GI Bill

•Yellow Ribbon Program

•Veteran's Benefits, Montgomery GI (DD214 form)

•MyCAA for spouses of active duty military members

•Ohio National Guard Scholarship Program (get forms from Ohio Adjutant General's Office)

For more information, contact Ryan Downs at (740) 397-9000, ext. 4524.

Can my military training count as college credit?

Yes! Veterans can earn up to 40 semester hours of general electives by supplying us with their military training transcripts.

Do you accept scholarships and/or employer tuition reimbursement?

Yes, many MVNU School of Graduate and Professional Studies students are eligible for federal and state grant and loan opportunities. Additionally, many employers provide some level of tuition reimbursement. Details can be obtained from financial aid.

What's included in the tuition cost?

A SGPS Enrollment Specialist will be able to provide more information regarding tuition and additional fees. Textbooks are not included in the cost of the program.

Do I qualify for financial aid?

Eligibility for financial aid is dependent on many factors. Our financial aid department will provide assistance and explain your options as a part-time or full-time student.

What is FAFSA?

FAFSA on the Web is the U.S. Department of Education's official electronic application for federal student aid. Visit to find out steps to apply. The SGPS financial aid office can provide additional information.

Does MVNU offer career counseling for adult students?

Career-oriented events held at various times and locations throughout the year can boost your job search and resume writing skills. Special speakers from state offices and other agencies assist you in mock job interviews and offer advice on how to move forward.

Does MVNU offer special academic services and/or reasonable accommodations for students who qualify?

It is the policy of MVNU that no qualified persons with disabilities shall, on the basis of disability, be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any of its programs or activities.

Any qualified student who has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning and/or working, can receive assistance at MVNU as provided in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and in the applicable provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

The office of Academic Support serves as the campus contact for any disability-related needs that students may have. Learn more about MVNU’s Disability Services, including all steps that students follow in order to use these services.

SGPS Computer Requirements

Review MVNU’s computer requirements regarding the type of computer, hardware, software, and internet connection necessary to be successful as an online MVNU SGPS student.

MVNU SGPS Attendance Policy

Federal regulations require that you don’t have a break in your attendance of more than 45 days from the end of one course to the start of another course. A break in attendance that is 30 days or more requires one of the following:

  • Fill the break with another course
  • Apply for a Leave of Absence
  • Withdraw from the university

Schedule Changes Or Course Failure

Federal regulations require that you must successfully complete all required credit hours for each disbursement. You’ll be unable to receive a new disbursement of financial aid unless this regulation is fulfilled.

Any schedule change — adds or drops — will affect your financial aid eligibility and a new award letter will be issued. It is your responsibility to contact MVNU to determine the impact of the change on your award.

Finally, you must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress to remain eligible to receive financial aid. This includes maintaining a specific grade point average and making continuous progress toward completing your program within a specific timeframe.


The Student Financial Services office is required to complete a Return of Funds Calculation if you withdraw to determine what percentage of aid you’re eligible to keep. Based on the calculation, funds may need to be returned to the state or Department of Education. This may create an outstanding balance on your account. Student Accounts will adjust your bill once the calculation is complete.

Site Designed and Developed by 5by5 - A Change Agency