Skip to content

Key Questions to Ask

Have questions? We have answers! Financial Aid

I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

Yes. Many families mistakenly think they don't qualify for aid, and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by failing to apply for it. The FAFSA form is free and filing may benefit you.

Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid at a particular university?

No. You can apply for financial aid any time after October 1. To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at the university.

Do I have to re-apply for financial aid every year?

Yes. Financial aid offices require that you apply for financial aid every year. If your financial circumstances change, you may get more or less need based aid. Note that your eligibility for financial aid may change significantly, especially if you have a different number of family members in college.

How do I apply for a Pell Grant and other types of need-based aid?

File your FAFSA. You should also check the appropriate boxes indicating your interest in student employment or student loans.

Are my parents responsible for my educational loans?

No. Parents are, however, responsible for the Federal PLUS Loans. Parents will only be responsible for your educational loans if you are under 18 and they endorse your loan. In general, you and you alone are responsible for repaying your educational loans. On the other hand, if your parents (or grandparents) want to help pay off your loan, you can have your billing statements sent to their address. Likewise, if your lender or loan servicer provides an electronic payment service where the monthly payments are automatically deducted from a bank account, your parents can agree to have the payments deducted from their account. However, your parents are under no obligation to repay your loans. If they forget to pay the bill on time or decide to cancel the electronic payment agreement, you will be held responsible for the payments, not them.

When do I pay back these loans?

After you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment, you have a six-month grace period before you begin repayment of Federal Direct Loans and a nine-month grace period for Perkins Loans. During the grace period on a subsidized loan, you don't have to pay any principal, and you won't be charged interest. During the grace period on an unsubsidized loan, you don't have to pay any principal, but you will be charged interest. As mentioned, you can either pay the interest or it will be capitalized.

Your lender will send you information about repayment, and you'll be notified of the date repayment begins. However, you're responsible for beginning repayment on time, even if you don't receive this information. Failing to make payments on your loan can lead to default.

I got an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?

Yes. If you are receiving any scholarships from outside sources, you must report them to the Financial Aid Office.

Where can I get more information about federal student financial aid?

Call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 1-800-730-8913 (if hearing impaired) and ask for a free copy of "Funding Education Beyond High School." This information can also be obtained on the Federal Student Aid website.

Are Work-Study earnings taxable?

The money you earn from Federal Work-Study is generally subject to federal and state income tax, but exempt from FICA taxes (provided you are enrolled full-time and work fewer than 20 hours per week).
Federal Work-Study earnings during the calendar year should be included in the totals for Adjusted Gross Income and income earned from work on the FAFSA.


What is MVNU's Title IV Federal School Code?


What is the best method of submitting my FAFSA?

The best method of submitting your FAFSA is online. In order to sign the FAFSA electronically, the student and parent both need to receive Federal Student Aid IDs (for dependent students).

How soon after October 1 should the FAFSA form be submitted? Is it better to wait until the income tax forms have been completed?

Submit the form as soon as possible after October 1.

How do I know if my application has been received?

If you applied through FAFSA on the Web, you'll get a confirmation notice after you click on "Submit My FAFSA Now." You'll also receive information regarding your FAFSA within a few days in the form of a Student Aid Report or SAR.

Where can I get help if I have questions about specific situations while I am completing my FAFSA?

You will find answers to most of your questions on the Federal Student Aid website or you may call the Financial Aid Office at 866-686-8243, option 2.

Life on Campus 


Will I have to live on campus?

We believe that living on campus is a vital part of the university experience. At MVNU all students under the age of 23 are required to live in campus housing unless they live within 50 miles of campus and commute from a parent's home. Exceptions are made for students who are married and/or have children. Click here to see a residence hall room layout.

What must I do to get housing and how is housing assigned?

In order to be assigned a room you need to complete and submit the following: 1) Housing Contract, 2) Roommate Preference form, 3) Medical History form, 4) $150 housing deposit and 5) $100 tuition deposit. Once the Office of Residence Life has received all of your paperwork and deposits they will assign you a room and roommate. They use the Roommate Preference form to find you a roommate that is as close to a good fit as is possible.

Freshman Assignments

Housing assignments for first-time freshmen will be posted at the summer New Student Orientation. Both Galloway and Pioneer Halls house female freshmen and Oakwood Hall houses male freshmen. Decisions will be made with assistance from the students completed Roommate Preference form, however later applications will be made based on availability.

Transfer Student and Older Freshman Assignments

Transfers or first-time freshmen who are 21 years or older will be assigned housing in either an MVNU residence hall or an on-campus apartment. Assignments for applications received in late July or in August will be made based on when they are received in the Residence Life office.

Older Freshmen and Transfer students will be notified of their assignment either by mail or by phone by the Residence Life staff, who will assign a room and roommate based first on availability and second with assistance from the students completed Roommate Preference form.

What if my roommate and I don't get along?

It is perfectly okay and normal! You have plenty of people here at MVNU to help guide and assist you through it. Students can report roommate or apartment conflicts to their Resident Assistant (serious issues should be reported directly to the Resident Director). The Residence Life staff will assist students with mediation and help roommates and apartment-mates communicate issues with each other.

Who is liable for damage done to my belongings?

The University is not liable for property damage of personal belongings. Students should be sure their property is covered by parents' homeowner's policy, or obtain a policy on their own items.


Who can help me when I need assistance?

Trained professional staff (Resident Directors) live in each residence hall and apartment area. In addition, each floor or apartment wing has one student Resident Assistant designated to assist students on their floor or unit. A student Resident Health Advisor is "on call" from 4:30 p.m.–8 a.m. to assist in medical emergencies. Additionally, Campus Safety is available 24-hours a day.

What facilities are available so I can wash my clothes?

Washers and dryers are located on the lower floors of all Residence Halls. Facilities are also located in each group of apartments. These facilities are available to residential students free of cost.

Will I have storage space for my belongings?

We do have rather large rooms at MVNU. Storage space can be found under the beds in the dormitories and above closets. Nevertheless, we still encourage students to limit personal belongings brought to campus and to bring only seasonal clothes. Make sure your roommate understands what you are bringing to avoid doubling up things you can share.

Do I have to provide my own food?

No. All residential students participate in the University's meal plan. Students may still bring their own food and beverages. Students are permitted to bring their own mini-refrigerator (max. 3.2 cubic feet).


What should/shouldn't I bring?

The orientation handbook contains a list of items to bring and not to bring to MVNU.

For more information please consult the Student Handbook.

Can I keep my car or bicycle on campus?

Yes. All students are permitted to have motor vehicles on campus. All cars and bicycles must be registered with Campus Safety. Bikes must be kept in bike racks located near each residence hall.

Can I have overnight guests?

Yes. Visitors are limited to staying on campus a maximum of three nights per month. All visitors must be registered with the Resident Director. Child care or babysitting is not permitted in any campus area.

Is there a curfew?

We want your transition to college life to be smooth and successful. For that reason, freshmen have nightly curfew — Monday through Thursday at midnight, Saturday at 1:30 a.m., and Sunday at 1 a.m.

Are there quiet hours, study rooms?

In efforts to love our neighbors and encourage academic success we have campus quiet hours from 10 p.m.–10 a.m. Study rooms and prayer rooms are available in most residence areas.

How are disciplinary issues resolved?

Disciplinary issues are generally presented to peer Residence Judicial Councils, and/or the Associate Dean of Student Development. As much as is possible, students will be given the option for community service in lieu of fines, unless damage to university property has been incurred. In addition, systems of accountability, such as counseling, accountability partners, etc. are used for behavioral intervention. When it is necessary for a student to be suspended from classes and campus for a period of time, students will be asked to notify parents of their suspension.

Site Designed and Developed by 5by5 - A Change Agency