Owned and operated by MVNU alumni and students, Happy Bean is the premier coffee shop in Mount Vernon, and it's conveniently housed downtown in MVNU's Hunter Hall. Whether you’re in the mood for a cold brew or a hot pourover, Happy Bean brews hope in Knox County, empowering all community members to see the potential of their life and families.
Just down the road from MVNU’s main campus is historical downtown Mount Vernon, where you’ll find a number of local restaurants and ice cream shops, along with a number of artisan shops and boutiques.
- R & M’s Southside Diner: A retro, breakfast-all-day diner with a pie list a mile long and dozens of throwback candies for sale.
- Happy Bean: Whether you’re in the mood for a cold brew or a hot pourover, Happy Bean brews hope in Knox County, empowering all community members to see the potential of their life and families.
- Whit’s Frozen Custard: An ice-cream lover’s paradise, Whit’s frozen custard is made fresh daily.
- Athens Greek Restaurant: Delicious gyros, hummus, baklava, and more right on the square. Plus, they deliver!
- The Alcove Restaurant & Lounge (link to ): Their diverse menu of Italian favorites, delicious salads, and American cuisine offers something for everyone.
- The Dairy: At just over a dollar per scoop, you’ll want to try all 88 flavors of homemade ice cream at this little shop.
- And many more!
MVNU is just 45 minutes from Forbes’ #1 City of Opportunity: Columbus, Ohio. Students love heading down to the city on the weekends for concerts, events, shopping, and more.
Easton Town Center: With more than 25 million visitors per year, Easton is the Midwest’s premier shopping, dining, and entertainment destination featuring nearly 300 best-in-class retailers alongside Columbus’ most exciting dining options, Ohio’s largest movie theatre, a world-class comedy club, and pedestrian-friendly open-air town squares, fountains, and parks.
Mission Coffee: One of the highest-rated coffee shops in Ohio.
Columbus Zoo and Aquarium: The Columbus Zoo is known for amazing exhibits and its annual winter Wildlights at the Zoo event, where you can experience displays of millions of LED lights among hundreds of wild animals.
Polaris Fashion Place: Polaris Fashion Place is a premier shopping destination in Columbus, Ohio, that offers over 150 retailers and dozens of restaurants.
COSI: Columbus, Ohio's dynamic Center of Science and Industry, inspires the scientists, dreamers, and innovators of tomorrow.
Franklin Park Conservatory: This beautiful conservatory offers enriching and memorable experiences inspired by art, culture, and the botanical world.